WORSHIP AT FAITH
Summer Worship 9:00AM
Sunday, August 9, 2015
Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost
First Lesson: Psalm 34:1-8
Second Lesson: Ephesians 4:25-5:2
Gospel Lesson: John 6:35, 41-51
Sermon by: Pastor Karri Anderson
“Poems for Pause and Power”
I invite you to join me in a spiritual exercise I have practiced regularly for the past twenty years
and will practice weekly on my sabbatical. It is a simple exercise of reflecting on the assigned
Psalm for the week. The exercise is described below. The Psalm for the upcoming Sunday
will appear on preceding Monday. May God bless each of us as we live into the Psalms this summer.
1. Psalm for week beginning, August 3 - Psalm 34:1-8
2. Read through once and pause for a few minutes to ponder the content
3. Read the passage through a second time looking for a phrase or image that seems to speak to
you or grab your interest; hits home with you. Pause and reflect on that image or phrase.
4. Read the passage through a third and final time concentrating on what that image or phrase you
selected is saying to you. Pause. Hold that phrase in your mind and carry it with you the rest of the
day and for the week.
5. Keep it simple. Read, pause and ponder; read, pause and ponder; read again and carry
a phrase or image with you into the week.